On May 9, 2016, the UISG created the international Canon Law Council, a program which will provide canonical advice to religious women through the world.
The aims of the Council are as follows:
- To explore a variety of ways of providing a canonical service for Superiors General;
- To create a worldwide network of religious women canon lawyers who are available to advise Superiors General in different parts of the world;
- To offer workshops and other educational opportunities in order to increase canonical expertise among women religious.
This new council is composed of five female canon lawyers from all the continents:
- Canadian Sisters of Charity Sr. Marjory Gallagher;
- Australian Loreto Sr. Mary Wright;
- Italian Franciscan Sr. Tiziana Merletti;
- Indian Mary Immaculate Sr. Licia Puthuparambil;
- Nigerian Daughters of Mary Mother of Mercy Sr. Mary Gerard Nwagwu.
Sr. Gallagher said the initiative has gained support from the Vatican’s congregation for religious life.
UISG said it hopes to create a similar council of women religious theologians and biblical scholars.
Fore more information, read the Global Sister Report article by clicking here.