The Sisters of Charity Federation participates in the work of the United Nations through special consultative status with the Economic and Social Council and through association with the UN Department of Global Communication. A full time NGO Representative is employed by the Federation to carry out this work.
The NGO Representative must carry the charism of the Sisters of Charity Federation and be able to articulate it to the United Nations. She/he should be passionate and able to hold the vision in dealing with both the UN and Federation members.
Major Responsibilities of the NGO Representative include:
- Serve as the principal liaison between the Federation and the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations.
- Discern, review and implement the priorities recommended by the Federation Board of Directors.
- Develop processes of communication to facilitate collaboration and effective relationships with NGO liaisons from the Federation congregations.
- Network and collaborate with other NGO Representatives, including other members of the Vincentian Family, to influence global initiatives and decision making and participate in NGO committee work.
- Evaluate UN and national policies according to the principles of Catholic Social Teaching and emerging/evolving plan of the Federation in order to support appropriate initiatives.
- Influence by presence, dialogue, interventions, and collaboration the political, economic, social, environmental, and humanitarian policies of the United Nations.
- Design communication and education programs in collaboration with the Federation NGO liaisons to ensure that members of the Federation are informed of UN activities, programs, and issues.
- Work collaboratively with the Federation Communications Coordinator to prepare newsletters and educational materials, as well as web site updates.
- Administer the NGO Office in New York, including, but not limited to, updating and sharing of available resource materials, maintaining files of correspondence, interventions, ECOSOC reports etc.
- Work with the annual leadership planning committee to prepare relevant information for the Federation congregational leadership teams.
- Prepare quadrennial reports for the ECOSOC and annual review to the UN Department of Global Communications.
- Maintain regular communication with the Federation Executive Director and Board of Directors when appropriate.
- Prepare accountability reports for Federation Board meetings.
- Accompanying Interns – Federation members and college/university students when appropriate.
- Assume responsibility for advocacy sign-on in the name of the Federation.
- Knowledge and understanding of Federation member congregations and the Charity charism
- Commitment to the promotion of the Charity charism
- Knowledge and understanding of contemporary Catholic Church and religious life
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Well-organized with an ability to handle many projects at one time
- Ability to initiate and organize new projects
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Good listening, relational and process skills
- Ability to communicate with various publics
- Good energy level for long hours and multi-tasking
- Willingness to travel
- Computer literate – proficiency with MS Word and email/Internet as well as experience with social media
- Familiarity with current societal issues, particularly as they impact the Church and religious life
- Experience and skill in organizing, planning logistics
- Sufficient competency and understanding, experience of finances – budgeting
The NGO Representative is accountable to the Federation Executive Director. She/he is evaluated annually by the director.
Term of Office
The position is a five-year term of office with possible renewal of two to three years.